Tuesday, June 14, 2016
Bill Hopes to Save Lifes by Allowing Police to Carry Allergy Auto-Injectors
The measure is named after Annie LeGere, a 13-year-old Elmhurst girl who died after having a severe allergic reaction at a sleepover, according to the Chicago Tribune.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies in children have grown 50 percent from 1997 to 2011.
Annie's mother, Shelly LeGere, said she has made it her mission to equip first responders with the injectors like the EpiPen. School nurses and other school employees are legally allowed to use the injectors.
"Had the officer who was first on the scene (for Annie) had an EpiPen, our life would be different right now," LeGere said. "But that's no one's fault because it was against the law for them."
The governor's office said Monday that the bill is under review. Rauner has 60 days to sign, veto or do nothing with the bill. If Rauner does not act on the bill, it would automatically go into effect in 2016.
LeGere is hopeful that Rauner will sign the bill into law at Sandburg Middle School in Elmhurst, where Annie attended school.
Information provided by the Associated Press