Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Illinois man raises money while running 50 marathons in 50 states

A suburban Chicago man is one marathon away from completing his mission of running 50 marathons in all 50 states.

Kevin Ely of Batavia, Illinois will run 26.2 miles Saturday at the Bayshore Marathon in Michigan. What initially began as a personal goal has turned into a quest for charity, according to NBC Chicago.

After already running in 13 states, he discovered the Free Wheelchair Mission, a nonprofit that offers cost-effective wheelchairs to people with disabilities. The father of a 7-yr-old with Cerebral Palsy, Ely is aware of the importance and expenses of mobility which led him to a fundraising mission called Marathons for Mobility.

"I thought 'I need to turn this from being a selfish thing for me and what I could accomplish for myself," he said. "It was a realization that I needed to do something to make an impact."

Ely has raised over $42,000 for 550 wheelchairs to be donated through the Free Wheelchair Mission.



Information provided by 5NBC Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment